4 Tips for Choosing the Right Necklace for Your Top or Dress
So you’re all set to walk out the door sporting your favorite new top but wait—don’t forget to add the cherry on top: your necklace! Choosing the right necklace for your top can be easy when you follow a few essential guidelines to ensure that your jewelry accents your look without overdoing it. The shape of the neckline of your shirt, blouse or dress will inform the length of the necklace that works best. Choose the right necklace length for your top’s neckline. Is your top a crew neck, v-neck, button down collared shirt, a scoop neck, or a plunging cleavage-revealing neckline? While the colors and pattern will help you further define the perfect jewelry accent.
TIP 1: Choose a necklace length that falls at least an inch or two above or below the neckline of your shirt or dress. Avoid a necklace that hits your chest at exactly the same place as your top’s neckline as it will tend to look busy or cluttered.
- For a crew neckline that sits high (similar to a standard t-shirt) you have two necklace length options: choose either a long necklace (20-44 inches long) that drops significantly below the neckline or a shorter or choker length necklace (16-18 inches long) that sits higher than the crewneck opening, completely clearing the top of your shirt so that your necklace sits fully on your skin. Avoid a necklace that hangs exactly where your shirt’s neckline is or they will be conflicting and fighting for attention.
- For a v-neck, stick with necklaces that sit either above the neckline or well below. Your best bet for a shorter necklace is a 16-18 inch pendant necklace or a 16-18 inch simple strand. If you opt for a longer necklace, just make sure it drops far below your v-neck.
- With a scoop neck top you have lots of choices, go for short or long, just try to clear the top of your shirt by at least an inch in either direction.
- You have a couple of options with a button down collared shirt. A simple shorter length necklace will be perfect, especially if you are wearing the top few buttons open. Choose a 16 to 18-inch long pendant or strand necklace so that it will peek out from under your blouse. You can also go for a longer necklace that easily clears the top closed button. In this case, stick with a simple necklace design since the buttons on the shirt are adding a visual element and you don’t want to give the eye too many places to focus.
- The shape of an off the shoulder top or dress allows for many jewelry options as it leaves a wide open space for nearly any size or style necklace. Try a long or short pendant necklace, a large statement piece, a gently draping multi –strand necklace or a long strand of beads. Just be sure that the necklace falls at least one to two inches above or below the neckline so that they are not fighting one another for our eye’s attention.
- It’s fun to choose jewelry for a dress or top with a deep plunging neckline because you almost can’t go wrong. A pendant or strand necklace that falls a few inches above the neckline would be stunning, as would a long necklace that falls a few inches below. Avoid a short choker, or a long pendant necklace that falls into your cleavage, should you be lucky enough to have the latter ;) .
TIP 2: Accent the color of your shirt or dress with a necklace. If your top is busy, stick with a necklace in a single color or material, if your top is a solid color, you are free to try multicolored or mixed material necklaces without risking overdoing it.
- Pair a single color/material necklace with a patterned top. If your top is a multi-colored pattern, follow these simple steps: stick to necklaces that are a single color or a single material, it can be gold, silver, pearl or beads, but try to stick to a single color for your jewelry, one that accents the pattern in your outfit. Mixed material jewelry may be tricky with a patterned top because it can tend to get too busy.
- Pair multicolored or mixed material necklaces with a solid colored top. If your top or dress is a solid color you are free to wear any color or metal jewelry to accent it, provided the colors and tones complement one another. For example, I might wear a red necklace with a navy top or a gold jewelry with a pink top. When wearing a solid colored top you are also free to wear a multicolored necklace, which can be lots of fun. Just be sure that the colors in the necklace relate to the color of your top without clashing.
TIP 3: Aim for harmony between the shape of the necklace and the shape of your neckline. Notice the shape the necklace makes as it drapes from your neck and pair it with a neckline that has a similar curve or angle. A gently draping blouse will look great with a necklace that hangs in a gentle curve. A long pendant or lariat necklace will look great with a high boat neck or a strapless top since each creates straight lines.
TIP 4: Most importantly, let your personality shine thought and have fun! Think of your necklace as an opportunity to show off your own personal style. When you exude confidence and exuberance you will rock your look I promise.